Family Circle magazine originally featured this list. Nancie J. Carmody compiled a number of things she was thankful for and I loved her reminder of a proper perspective. As we approach Thanksgiving (and Black Friday) perhaps these will restore an attitude of gratitude when the stress closes in.
I Am Thankful For…
- …the mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.
- …the taxes I pay because it means I’m employed.
- …the clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat.
- …my shadow who watches me work because it means I am out in the sunshine.
- …a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.
- …the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I a capable of walking.
- …all the complaining I hear about our government because it means we have freedom of speech.
- …my huge heating bill because it means I am warm.
- …the lady behind me in church who sings off-key because it means I can hear.
- …the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because it means I’m alive.
- …the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby.
- …weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been productive.
(copied from Lists to Live by for Simple Living)
Based on this list, I am blessed and equally thankful. What things could you add to this list?